music --- news --- culture --- debate

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

City Limits - Memphis




If I have to choose one city for all my music it would have to be Memphis. Not only is it the birthplace of rock and roll and the home of The King, Elvis_Presley, Memphis also produced many other outstanding artists. The Box Tops featuring Alex Chilton are from Memphis. So are Booker T. & The MGs, the famous house band for Stax Records. Memphis also produced Al Green, B.B. King, Jerry Lee Lewis, Howlin' Wolf, Otis Redding and Sam & Dave. Elvis has so many great songs, I could handle the desert island with just his recordings, but throw those others in and its an easy decision. Although technically not from Memphis, I think Sam Cooke is close enough to include (he is from Clarksdale, MS) too.

I gave some thought to San Francisco (Grateful Dead, Green Day, Chris Isaak, Metallica) and my hometown of Philly (Jim Croce, The Roots, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes), but between Elvis & Sam Cooke, I think I'll survive.

Court has picked some good cities for sure, but some of the best artists are from nowhere special, like Asbury Park, NJ (Bruce Springsteen), or Hicksville, NY (Billy Joel). New York, LA and London have all produced great musicians, but when you think about it, weren't they all just trying to be Elvis?

1 comment: