music --- news --- culture --- debate

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Song In My Head



"Red Hill Mining Town" by U2.

For some reason, I started humming this song at the grocery store late last night. It always reminds me of high school -- the whole Joshua Tree album does -- and coming to realize I wasn't a kid anymore and that the wide world had risks and rewards I hadn't considered up to that point. Enough about that. Musically, I don't know if I should love or hate The Edge's obvious fret squeals -- I can't think of another song where they're as over-pronounced as they are here -- but the more I think about them, the less I like them. The Edge famously once said that he always tried to come up with new guitar sounds and never use the same sound twice. I'll let you judge whether it works in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment