music --- news --- culture --- debate

Monday, May 6, 2013

Cover Me...Volume 2

Let's compare cover versions to their original songs, and decide which one we like best.

For our second contest, we have the song "Raspberry Beret". Originally written and performed by Prince, the Hindu Love Gods (REM's side project with Warren Zevon) had a different take on it. 

So Prince is the original:

And the Hindu Love Gods cover five years later, with less lyrics:


Which do you prefer? For me, it's the cover - by a hair. The REM rhythm section along with the Peter Buck guitar riff is one of the coolest cover interpretations I have heard.  Gives it a different life to a different audience. 
 
If the answer is neither, perhaps you'll like the Big Smith bluegrass version.




2 comments:

  1. Check the audio on the Prince version -- there's something not right about it.

    I always liked the Hindu Love Gods version of this song, too. But I think the original is so well-crafted that I prefer it to the cover version's more straight-ahead rock approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are excellent. I can listen to either of them equally. Did you listen to Big Smith?

    ReplyDelete