music --- news --- culture --- debate

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Stuck In My Head


I haven't listened to this in a good six or seven years, but I recently re-discovered Art Brut's 2007 album It's a Bit Complicated and once again I'm hooked. And now -- just like then -- the irresistible track that's stuck n my head is "Direct Hit".

There's no one in music quite like Art Brut lead singer Eddie Argus. He spends all of his time talking through his I-can't-believe-he-said-that lyrics while the rest of the band plays tight power-pop behind him.But Art Brut works in large part because of Argus. On this track -- and the accompanying video -- the literate Argus does just what you'd expect him to do: He's imploring a bunch of toga-wearing party-goers to overcome their fears of commitment and cajoling them to get on the dance floor, even if their friends have already left the party. It's a mouthful, and it may not be as direct a hit as just saying "Everybody Dance Now", but face it, it's a whole lot more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment