music --- news --- culture --- debate

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Stumbling Upon Gold

Did you ever have one of those times when you fell down a YouTube rabbit hole and discovered something truly great? It just happened to me.

I'm reading the new biography of Alex Chilton, and as a result listening to a lot of Box Tops and Big Star. One of my work colleagues came of age in the late 60s, and knew the Box Tops, but didn't realize Chilton was 16 when their classic single "The Letter" was released.


So then I tried to explain Big Star, and how Chilton went in a completely different direction with that band. I played "September Gurls" (which is probably in my Top 15 all-time) and he thought of Marshall Crenshaw. So I went looking for Marshall Crenshaw songs -- other than "Someday, Someway" which everyone of a certain age knows -- and found this:


I realize I'm late to the game: the song was used in the movie D.E.B.S. and covered by everyone from Freedy Johnston to Bette Midler and to Owen Paul and even Ronnie Spector, but the original is truly great song.

No comments:

Post a Comment