music --- news --- culture --- debate

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Can a Video Ruin a Song?

One of the best songs of the past five years was "Furr" by Blitzen Trapper. At least that's my opinion. The song is fairly simple -- acoustic guitar, some nifty synth effects and a beautiful tale of a boy who becomes a wolf who becomes a man, and the challenges of slipping between both worlds. Anyway, I only recently began listening to it again because a few years ago, I watched the video and it ruined the song for me. It's like a bad art school project where everything is too literal. And it actually prevented me from enjoying the song -- even when I just listening to it on my iPod. See if you agree.


By the way, Blitzen Trapper songwriter Eric Earley is a certified genius in my book -- based solely on the strength of "Furr", "Black River Killer" and "God and Suicide." They're all phenomenal songs. Look for new Blitzen Trapper this fall -- just don't watch the videos.

2 comments:

  1. "Devil's A-Go-Go" is BY FAR their best song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BY FAR? As in IN CAPS BY FAR? Strong words, there. It's a good tune -- inventive -- but I'm partial to the more straight-ahead narrative folk/country of "Furr" and "Black River Killer". Big fan of "Fire and Fast Bullets" as well.

    ReplyDelete