music --- news --- culture --- debate

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mashed Up Madness

Part 1

Part 2
I finally finished Simon Reynolds' great book Retromania a few weeks back, and now I'm having another round of researching all the references I dog-eared in the book. And there are a lot. First up is Osymyso's "Intro Inspection" -- a 12 minute long creation that stitches together the intros of more than 100 well-known pop songs. It's fun to listen and try to pick out the samples, or you can cheat and watch the samples as they pop up here and here.

See if you can guess my favorite moment -- alright, I'll tell you. It's at about 2:48 on Part Two, when Duran Duran's "Is There Something I Should Know?" is layered alongside "Sweet Dreams" by Eurythmics along with Dee-Lite's "Groove is in the Heart." That triumverate goes on for about 15 seconds before Yello's "Oh Yeah" comes in and hands off to Blur's "Song 2" and New Order's "Blue Monday" -- both intercut with the Kinks guitar riff from "You Really Got Me." Although I do like when Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough" is mashed up with Chaka Khan's "I Feel For You."

It's fun, and certainly a remarkable achievement. But it's really just a novelty song in my opinion. And musically, I don't even think it hangs together cohesively as well as the stuff I've heard by people like Girl Talk.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment