music --- news --- culture --- debate

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Best of 2011 - A Second Look

As I looked back on 2011, I was a little underwhelmed.  Many of these songs might not have made the list in previous years.  Funny thing is: I probably listened to more music this year than I have in previous years.  I embraced Spotify & used Grooveshark.  I downloaded from itunes, and my SIRIUS radio played non-stop.  I just couldn't get a great feel for what the year was.  Here is the collection I archived.  Every time I heard a song I liked, I tried to add it to the list for the year.  Here is what I came up with:

"Machine Gun Blues" - Social Distortion
These guys are the greatest least-known band in America.  Some 30+ years, and still cranking out that 50's retro/punk sound. A great chorus makes this song fly.  I was glad to see they got a little push by opening for the Foo Fighters on their world tour.  Hopefully they earned a few new fans.

"Make Some Noise" - Beastie Boys
Yes, my second old-timer band makes the list.  I so anticipated this record, and was a bit disappointed.  The first single and the video did not disappoint, though.  Yauch still is the greatest MC to rock the mike.  Plus, a great cowbell solo - how can you go wrong?

"Around My Head" - Cage the Elephant
This is one of my favorite newer bands.  This is the second time I have included them on a "Best of" list.  Their sophomore record, Thank You, Happy Birthday was a critical success.  This was my favorite song off it. The video is a bit of a gory Weekend at Bernie's

"Pumped Up Kicks" - Foster the People
Ok, so I think Court selected this song last year, but it was only released online then.  The album, Torches,  was released May 23, 2011, so I will count it for this year.  This anti-hit, was super catchy.  It was one of the songs that would be on when my kids were in the car that I liked.  The band even chuckled that lyrically this should never have been a hit, but, damn that whistling gets to me!

"Jesus Fever" - Kurt Vile
I really liked Philly's own Kurt Vile.  I was exposed to him via SIRIUS.  I followed up listening to his record, Smoke Ring for My Halo on Spotify and really enjoyed the relaxed nature of it.  He gets compared to Springsteen, which I find interesting.  I'm still listening for it. 

"Knuckle Down" - Man Man
Score another point for Philadelphia!  Man Man is one of the bands I NEED to see live.  Crazy stuff.  The video is only 14 seconds of the song, showing the crazy process of being Man Man.  Love the xylophone & vocals.  Big fan!  Look up the entire song.

"Get Away" - Yuck
It was the guitar solo that originally peaked my interest.  When I heard that it, I swore it was J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. Even though it has that guitar, it is so British Indie.  Catchy.  I love hearing it while driving on a cold fall day.  Reminds me a little of the Cribs.

"Lotus Flower" - Radiohead
I, admittedly, am not the biggest Radiohead fan, but I like this one.  I downloaded it from their site almost immediately after hearing it.  It's tight & sophisticated sounding.  My question is: will I hear it in a Banana Republic within a year?

"If I Had a Gun" - Noel Gallagher & the High Flying Birds
Take away my love for Oasis, and this still is a pretty great song.  Noel shows a much softer, dreamier side here, that Oasis lacked.  They (Oasis) could get sappy, but this doesn't feel it (except the title line.)  Much to my Oasis loving friend's chagrin, I think the talent for the band lies here.

"Lonely Boy" - The Black Keys
I feel they are the "it" band at the moment.  They are in magazines, on TV, all over the radio, and yesterday, I found out this song is in my son's video game.  El Camino is probably not as good as their previous record, but they showed they have staying power.  The video alone, warrants recognition.  I got a good chuckle at the single shot video.

"Never Tear Us Apart" - Me First & the Gimme Gimmes
I think the Gimmes do a great job taking pop songs and giving them an edge.  This year's covers are either from Australia or Japan.  Who better than INXS to cover at full speed in 2:05 seconds? 

"Sad Song" - The Cars
No, it's not 1978, but listening to this song, you might think it was.  The song sounds like it should have been an outtake from Candy-O, but it's all new with all original members except the late Benjamin Orr.  With the hand clapping, and synth sound, you've heard from previous Cars records, you'd be shocked that it was written in 2011.  Funny thing, the song doesn't sound sad at all. 

"Little Talks" - Of Monsters & Men
Truth be told, this was not my pick, but my wife's.  It was her favorite song of 2011.  I included it for I found her fascination with this six piece Icelandic band surprising.  Looking it up, it has only gotten heavy play in Seattle, Columbus, and 104.5 out of Philadelphia. 

"Hello" - Martin Solveig
Once again, a late 201 release, but had it's success in 2011.  I downloaded a bunch of junk for my kids, but this one was catchy.  A French DJ & a Canadian electro-pop act with a catchy bubbly dance track.  I am already starting to regret this pick knowing it was covered by Alvin & the Chipmunks in the movie Chipwrecked!

4 comments:

  1. Good stuff JC - as usual, you and I have some picks in common. Guess I need to get that Kurt Vile CD now if you and Court are both on board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both like it so you're forced!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teh whole Kurt Vile CD is a good listen - Plus, he is a Philly guy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff throughout... The highlight for me is Yuck. I do like that song a lot -- heard it a bit on SiriusXMU. And you're so right, the Dinosaur Jr. comparison is apt.

    "Pumped Up Kicks" was on my list last year -- it's a great tune and I figured it would be a hit but had no idea it would be as big as it was this past year. You know my feelings about Kurt Vile, Social D, the Black Keys and the Beasties. Somehow, I expected to really like the long video for "Make Some Noise" but it didn't quite live up to my lofty expectations either. Not sure I'm feeling that Martin Solveig song. The Man Man stuff is out there - can't wait to hear what Jim posted.

    I've heard some of that Cars record -- including "Sad Song" -- and doesn't it sound like the Cars covering the Strokes trying to be like the Cars? Of Monsters and Men was a cool tune -- funny that it's only gotten airplay in those three cities.

    And as for Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, talk about crazy covers, check out Josh T. Pearson's crazy covers of Erasure's "A Little Respect"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxTm7ESZ0wU and Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkAj4bOL3zs&feature=related

    ReplyDelete