music --- news --- culture --- debate

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Best of 2011 - A Second Opinion (By Darius)

Here's my Best of 2011 tracks - hope you like them.

"Go Tell Everybody" - The Horrible Crowes



I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive about Brian Fallon (of The Gaslight Anthem) striking out on his own with a guy I never heard of (Ian Perkins), and the first track I heard from the album "Elsie" ("Black Betty and The Moon") was certainly not what I expected. It took a few weeks, but it grew on me, alot. It was slow and soulful, which is a bit of a departure from The Gaslight Anthem's straight ahead rock. When they released "Go Tell Everybody" just prior to the album's official release, I was taken by surprise again, but this time I came around more rapidly. Fallon's raw emotion when he sings "I was a man of great sympathy..." is simply unmatched. Just listen to the first 30 seconds, from the beating high-hat intro to Fallon's swagger singing: "I've been known to wear a fine black suit, and murder a tie, I've got miles on my shoes, that your brothers can't buy." In my opinion, this is the album of the year. I saw them perform most of it live in Los Angeles, and it was even better than on record. Bottom line, I will never doubt Brian Fallon again.

"Wetsuit" - The Vaccines.



These guys made a pretty big splash this year, and the album "What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?" is on most critics Top 10 lists. I won't bore you with further details - it is everything the critics say and more. This track is a gem hidden amongst the more well-played "Post Break Up Sex" and "Wreckin' Bar".

"Montezuma" - Fleet Foxes



"Helplessness Blues" is a beautiful album, but I'm not telling you something you don't already know. Just like The Vaccines, this one made plenty of lists this year. Fleet Foxes have the feel of CSNY and 60s era Beach Boys, but with something current added. "Montezuma" is the first track and it hits you with lyrics like "So now I am older, then my mother and father, when they had their daughter, now what does that say about me...Oh man what I used to be...".

"Houdini" - Foster The People



Foster the People were a huge commercial success this year - I couldn't go anywhere without hearing "Pumped Up Kicks." In fact, I refused to buy the album because they were so overplayed and overhyped. So my freind bought it and I begrudingly listened. I was wrong - this a great band. "Houdini" reminds me of 80s era synth-pop from bands like Duran Duran - a total throwback, but also modern in their own right. Like other bands of the past year (Yeasayer, M83, Sleigh Bells) the sound is not uniqiue, but FTP pull it off in a very catchy way. If, like me, you hesitated on this band - hesitate no longer.

"People" - AWOLNation



Like most of you, I was drawn in by the brooding drone of "Sail", but the rest of "Megalithic Symphony" is surprisingly pop. This track is a prime example. A very interesting band with a fresh sound.

"Poison & Wine" - The Civil Wars



I think the first time I saw this duo perform was on Letterman (link below) - they were stunning, and I bought the album "Barton Hollow" immediately. When you see them perform it, you can feel the emotion and see it written on their faces - the mark of a great artist. The slow build of this song just draws you in more with each verse.

"Brendan's Death Song" - The Red Hot Chili Peppers



If anyone thought the Chilis were done, think again. I am a huge fan of John Frusciante's guitar work with RHCP, and I don't think they are the same without him. That said, John Klinghoffer has brought something just as good, but different, to the band. "I'm With You" is undoubtedly the Chilis, but it has a slightly different spin, which is refreshing. Its difficult to even pick a song from this album because they are all so good, and also very different. This one hit me right away - its the slow and melodic Kiedis voice that is always the most interesting (think "Under the Bridge").

"Diamond in the Rough" - Social Distortion



I keep waiting for Social Distortion to fall off (not that I want them to), and they never do - "Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes" is just as good as every other album they have put out over the last 20 years. Its hard to believe they started in the early 80s and are still going strong. I never miss them in concert when they come to town. "Diamond in the Rough" is classic Social D at their singalong best.

"MoneyGrabber" - Fitz and the Tantrums



Can't forget this one - beyond catchy, and the album "Pickin' Up The Pieces" is a welcome break from the rest of alternative radio. Just watch them perform it live with Philly legend Darryl Hall.

3 comments:

  1. Good list...
    That Darryl Hall jam reminds me of Holy Ghost's song "Some Children" featuring Michael McDonald. More blue-eyed soul from the 80s!

    Listen Here:
    http://prettymuchamazing.com/mp3/holy-ghost-some-children-f-michael-mcdonald

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my favorite song off of your list. I thought your selectiosn were very heart-wrenching & emotional.

    No hip-hop this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing made the cut this year - maybe new Roots album makes next year's list. Loved "Otis" from "Watch The Throne" but didn't really get into the rest. Like that Holy Ghost track.

    ReplyDelete