music --- news --- culture --- debate

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Three for the Road

Ok, here's the game.  On the road, driving in the car. You get to hear three songs in a row from a specific artist.  What three do you choose?  It could be their best, or something that just resonates with you.  Seven days - seven artists - back and forth.  Feel free to comment on your three from "said" group.

Today, let's start easy - The Clash.

1. "Clampdown" - I love the workingman's anthem.  Gets me fired up!
2.  "Police on My Back" - a cover, I know, but such a great version.  The siren-like guitars, and the chours "What have I done?"  I always end up speeding when driving listening to this song.

3.  "Death or Glory" - We're gonna raise some hell...

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea. First off, if I am to hear any three Clash songs, "Clampdown" would be among them. Good call. I can't argue with your other two choices, but since it's a question of personal preference, and I don't want to repeat your pick of "Clampdown", I'll start with "Death or Glory". I could have just as easily said "Spanish Bombs": both are windows-down shout-it-out songs that get me going.

    My second choice would be "White Man in Hammersmith Palais". I'd want to hit the ska side of the Clash catalog in the second slot. But I could have gone with "The Magnificent Seven" here. It always makes my two-year-old son dance. And if he's in the car with me I'd want to see that.

    Now, I still have another song to choose. My third choice would be an unconventional one -- and a song you wouldn't expect to hear on the radio: "This is England" from the otherwise horrible post-Mick Jones Cut the Crap LP. It's not just a good Clash song, it's a great song in general. Joe's lyrics are so menacing as he bemoans the fate of post-Industrial Britain. And I'd be extra happy to hear it on the radio, as it only ever plays on my iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choices & a good start. I look forward to your selection later on today.

    BTW - I too like "This is England."

    ReplyDelete