music --- news --- culture --- debate

Friday, November 30, 2012

Three for the Road: The English Beat

Maybe it's because I'm putting together my Christmas list and this is on it: A box set featuring 5 glorious CDs from the English Beat. There probably the only band featuring a saxophone that I'd actually want to listen to. In any case, here are the three English Beat songs I'd want to hear in the car:

1) "I Confess" -- "No it's not a joke, it's cards on the table time"


2) "Ackee 1 2 3" -- to get you in a happy mood


3) "Save it for Later" -- just a classic



And I realize that -- despite mention of the box set -- all three of my tracks come from the same album, 1983's Special Beat Service. I know I may be living in the past, but Dave Wakeling is still touring as the English Beat, and word is he puts on a great show. Meanwhile, Ranking Roger tours as the Beat in England and -- like most partnerships that have gone south -- you can't help but wish there would be a reconciliation that would bring both partners together.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Do not deny the power of Saxa! His riffs make so many of the songs "go."

    2. On the VH1 show, Bands Reunined: English Beat is probably my favorite episode. Although they run as two seperate units, don't they play together here and there?

    ASIDE: Vh1 would roll out some great shows and not follow up on them: Bands Reunited, Bands on the Run, etc.

    3. Good choice of groups, and I would have to go with "Mirror in the Bathroom." I know, it's their most commerical song, and I cannot help but think of the John Cusak movie Grosse Point Blank when hearing it, but it's such a cool song. #2 Save It for Later. Really great ska-based 80's pop. #3 I Confess. Boy that video shows an era, huh?

    New band next week.

    ReplyDelete