music --- news --- culture --- debate

Monday, December 3, 2012

Rumour Has It...


I happily read the feature article in this Sunday's New York Times about the reunification of Graham Parker with his old band-mates, The Rumour. And yet I can probably only name one friend of mine who actually likes Graham Parker - and he's over 60.

According to the Times, Parker "anticipated the energy of punk and set the bar for smart, literate lyrics married to a danceable beat." And while critics here in the States compared the band to Bruce Springsteen, American record buyers didn't. And Parker - at least in this country - faded into oblivion.

But now Graham and his mates are back together thanks in large part to Judd Apatow, who cast them in the new movie "This is 40" as a once-famous band whose career is revived -- no stretch there.

And that got me singing one of Parker's best and best-known songs, "Discovering Japan". If you're unfamiliar with Parker's work, or the great 1979 album Squeezing Out Sparks, I encourage you to listen to it.



2 comments:

  1. I am aware of Graham Parker. He had that video on early MTV where he is ice and melts, then is shattered.

    I can't say I got into him. I would say he is much like Nick Lowe or Dave Edmunds. Guys who were crittically acclaimed in the ealry 80's but never quite hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but listen to "Discovering Japan"... it is a great tune, and up your alley.

    ReplyDelete