music --- news --- culture --- debate

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Three For The Road - The Smiths

I enjoyed today's balmy weather by taking the day off. I'm owed a lot of time at work after what has been a busy year, and it was just luck of the draw that I took off on a December day when temperatures reached the 60s. In any case, I was driving by the local high school during their lunch hour -- this was not planned, I'm not one of those pathetic losers -- windows down and "How Soon is Now" playing loudly in my sensible family station wagon. And that little anecdote leads to my Three for the Road, Smiths edition:

1) "Hand in Glove" - It fades up on Marr's guitar riffs and then that harmonica kicks in and it's gold. Johnny Marr at his finest.

2) "Half a Person" - "Sixteen clumsy and shy" pretty much sums up the Smiths for me.


3) "The Headmaster Ritual" - A song after your own heart -- about public education.

1 comment:

  1. I must admit, I have nevre beena big Smiths guy. It's not like I don't repsepct them. I think Morrissey & Johnny Marr do not get the respect they deserve as important musicians from a time of much one hit wonders and pop fun. I think as a 16, 17 year old boy, I couldn't connect (or appreciate) the sensitive work from them, or even the concept of being a celebate bi-sexual. I have the utmost repsect for those who could. It took me time. because of it, I probably "hear" the Smiths different than a fan who finds their work crucial.

    1. This Charming Man - I guess this could eb considered a popular chocie along the likes of "Panic," "Girlfriend in a Coma" & "How Soon is Now." It's a catchy tune, with intracite, yet fun gutiar work. The only thing I do not like is the little scream Morrissey lets out.

    2. "There is a Light that Never Goes Out." I truly think this is a great song. It does make me think of my teens, and I don't know why. Maybe it's the lyrics?

    3. "Hand in Glove." Funny. I say you posted early this morning. Logged out, and came back to it today at at 3:30 and didn't really know what you posted. Agreed great guitar. This si they type of song that makes me appreciate Johnny Marr. Something about the guitar, though reminds me of early REM.

    There...out of my comfort zone. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete