music --- news --- culture --- debate

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Rock & Roll HoF Honors two of the Discordants favorites

Congratulations go out to Rush & Public Enemy for their acceptance into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  Both groups have led to a few discussions by the boys of the Discordants.

Rush, although eligible since 1998, were only put on the ballot for the first time.  The Canadian trio are something that girls just cannot understand, but seems to resonate with most 30+ men.  The master drummer & lyricist, the quiet guitar soloist, the bass, playing, keyboard playing high pitched lead singer make up a group that has spanned almost 40 years.  They deserve their moment in the limelight.


Public Enemy was just discussed in our Three for the Road: Hip-hop post.  I will share this little anecdote.  About 20 years ago, my father was flying (1st class.)  when he returned home, I remember him telling this story that he sat next to this strange man.  He was African-American with gold teeth.  He had a baseball hat with a top hat on top of it, and he wore this giant clock around his neck.  He was on a cellular phone (before it was common to have one) the whole time.  My mother cracked up, and I was floored to know my dad brushed with a legend - only he thought the guy was crazy.  Keep on fightin' the power boys!


1 comment:

  1. I always loved that story about your dad's encounter with Flavor Flav. My own PE story isn't nearly as good, but I did have a brief conversation with Chuck D. after he gave a lecture at my alma mater. I think we talked about affirmative action.

    As for Rush, I'm not entirely sure what the parameters for entry to the Hall of Fame are if they're allowed in. Perhaps it's their endlessly creative song titles -- like "By-Tor and the Snow Dog." I mean, they're probably nice guys, and they certainly have musical chops, but I think I made my feelings about them pretty clear in our previous exchange.

    ReplyDelete