music --- news --- culture --- debate

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Three for the Road: David Bowie

Has there been an artist who has had more relevance for as long as David Bowie has? He's been pushing the envelope on many levels -- music, visual arts -- for decades. But having said that, my picks all come from the 1970s -- here goes:
 

"Heroes" - We had a German language version of this song growing up ("Helden") and even that was good.



"Starman" - I always love Bowie's soaring choruses -- like on this track and also on "Life on Mars" (which admittedly I probably like because of its inclusion in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou).


"Kooks" - Always a fan of this one -- and even more so now that I'm a dad.

Notice, no inclusion of "The Laughing Gnome." And that wasn't an oversight on my part. By the way, Bowie's five-borough tour in New York City a few years ago was one of the highlights of my concert-going life.

1 comment:

  1. I had a really hard time choosing three songs from Davy Jones himself. An immense catalog, and one that changes over time. He is an impressvie artist who could switch sounds without losing a bit of credibility.

    1. "Heaven's in Here" - Tim Machine. After the Glass Spider tour struggled, Bowie felt tired. Tired of playing the old songs over and over and felt he needed to musically be rejuvinated. He created/joined a band featuring two of Soupy Sales kids, and created Tin Machine. I bought this back in 1989 and liked it. This was the second single, and I always liked the groove. These are songs we will never see the likes of again.

    2. "Fashion" My #1 choice would have been "Heroes" but I also like this one from Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps.) "We are the goon squad and we're coming to town...beep beep!"

    3. "Moonage Daydream." My brother and I love great opening lines. This one doesn't let anyone down. "I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you." It also features a great heavy guitar riff and a crazy flute solo.

    Super choice once again!

    ReplyDelete