music --- news --- culture --- debate

Saturday, December 22, 2012

One Band Forever

Here's a question that came up today as the family and I were driving to the grocery store. If you had to limit your musical listening to exactly one band (or artist), who would it be?


The question came up as we backed out of the driveway with Squeeze's "Another Nail in My Heart" on the radio. It's not the first (or second or third) Squeeze song that comes to mind, but it's a darn good song. My wife went one further, saying that -- now that she's thinking of it -- if she had to only listen to one band for the rest of her life, it would be Squeeze.

Now, Squeeze wouldn't be my choice. I'd probably go for The Clash for sheer variety -- there's garage rock, punk, ska, dub and pop in The Clash catalog. So I throw it out there -- if you had to listen to one artist -- and only one artist -- forever, who would it be?

4 comments:

  1. A great question.

    Funny you should mention Squeeze, for we were out with a couple whose favorite band (both of them) is Squeeze. It's one of their three Pandora stations they listen to (along with the Smiths and Missing Persons...go figure.)

    They question is tough. Before I saw your response, my first thought was the Clash for the same reasons. I could say the same of the Rolling Stones or the Beatles, but I honestly tire of both, so they would not work. Springsteen is someone I would consider just for the vast catalog...but I think you are right. It would be the Clash.

    Does that give us BAD and BAD II?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if it does, then it gives us the Mescaleros as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? Go back and listen to Global A-Go-Go... It's an older, warmer Joe Strummer really at the top of his game. Great songcrafting and playing.

    ReplyDelete