music --- news --- culture --- debate

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Three for the Road - the Grateful Dead

For today, I tried to go with a band that has such a vast catalog that we wouldn't share a song.  I had a very hard time picking the three songs to go with.  Here is what I came up with (and I'm still debating #3 as I type.)

1.  Jack Straw.  Something tugs at my heartstrings as we learn of two forced outlaws where one has to kill the other just to be able to stay on the run.  It is one of the few Dead songs that have Jerry and Bob trade the lead vocals.  I still love the line "We use to play for silver, now we play for life."  The slow start which picks up pace is the best opener to get moving. 

2.  Brown-Eyed Women.  Another song that tells a story of a time and place of the American past, that sounds romantic.  So much to like here.  The band gets into a nice groove that allows Jerry to freestyle in between verses.  It has a catchy chorus to sing along with and a nice, soft ending.  A very underrated Dead song.  
3.  Box of Rain.  A masterpiece.  Written by Phil Lesh to his dying father.  I melt with this song.  So emotional.  The harmonies following Phil's lead are just a thing of beauty.  The sweeping slide guitar of Jerry, and the drum fills just make this, in my opinion one of the greatest songs of all time.  I almost didn't go with this, for it's not truly a car song.  I debated "U.S. Blues," "New Speedway Boogie," "Ramble on Rose," among so many other gems.  Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. OK -- good choices. I'll try to go with some offbeat picks -- stuff that would never come on the radio -- even though I'd be happy with crowdpleasers like "St Stephen", "Sugar Magnolia" and "Uncle John's Band".

    1) "Estimated Prophet" -- the envelope-follower guitar sound of the opening track from 1979's underrated Terrapin Station. I toyed with putting the whole 20 minute song "Terrapin Station" on my list, but I love "EP" so much more.

    2) "Cold Rain and Snow" -- from their 1967 debut album

    3) "Scarlet Begonias" -- Just a cool tune. And if I take the live version, it would probably be paired with "Fire on the Mountain"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choices. I like EP, but Terrapin is nto one of my favorites. I debate this oen with the teacher in the room next to me. He voted for "Athena."

    "Cold Rain and Snow" is a great one. Love the studio version. The livev ersion takes on a life of it's own and can be appreciated as a completely different song.

    "Scarlet.." is cool. You picked two of the funkier Dead songs with this & EP. If "Shakedown Street" was your third choice, I would think you were in a funk mood.

    If looking at live combos, I personally like "Help is on the Way/Slipknot/Franklin's Tower."

    ReplyDelete