music --- news --- culture --- debate

Friday, December 7, 2012

Three for the Road: The Cars

I bought a new car today. So now I have cars. Plural. And that got me thinking about today's Three for the Road entry, about classic rock's favorite new wave band. The Cars came out of Boston in the late 70s and were pegged as part of the new wave, but with guitars AND synths they were acceptable to mainstream rock and today remain unique in their status as the only new wave band in the classic rock pantheon. And they were one of the first new bands I listened to as a kid and kind of got into -- you know, knowing the band members by name and instrument and all that. Definitely brings me back to my youth.

Needless to say, they've been an influence - albeit an understated one - on a lot of bands, and they've had a bunch of great songs. Here are my three:



1) "Let's Go" - I like the nightlife, baby. OK, this is an obvious choice for the leadoff spot, but too bad.



2) "It's All I Can Do" - The highlights for me are Greg Hawkes' synths over Benjamin Orr's chorus, and the great interplay between Hawkes and Elliot Easton's guitar solo.By the way, that's two-for-two off Candy-O.


3) "Moving in Stereo" - Let's give Hawkes his full due on this one -- he partially wrote the song, from the band's debut album. Not sure who gets credit for the great line "Life's the same, except for my shoes."

2 comments:

  1. Great band! Look at their greatest hits and it's a sing along from beginning to end. So many choices...

    1. "You're All I got Tonight" First off, I'm a Ric Ocasek guy. This one is everything that makes the Cars great: Ocasek's snotty punk attitude, guitar riffs, and the great synth that makes up the Cars sound that Weezer & others have so perfectly copied.

    2. "Shake It Up." I think this sound, to me summarizes the early 80's. Poppy, dancy, catchy with a rollerrink-like organ layered with simple guitar and synth riffs. How can you not turn this song up and drive faster once that guitar solo hits?

    3. "Dangerous Type" I like the wierdness of it. Not something you hear on the radio much. I love the repeated synth riff. A great song for headphones for the sound moves from speaker to speaker. Strange mixing, but cool song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured you'd do well with this post -- you're a big Cars guy. I agree with you about "Dangerous Type" -- it's weird and dark and I considered it, too.

    ReplyDelete