music --- news --- culture --- debate

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Song In My Head

This is REALLY obscure. It's the Greenlandic rap group Nuuk Posse with "Oqariatuut (The Message)". And no, it's not a Grandmaster Flash cover.

I first heard of these guys about 10 years ago and instantly wanted to film a documentary on them. Rappers from Greenland? No way. I actually tracked down someone at the record label ULO to see about working with them and he was interested but it never went anywhere. I mean, try getting to Greenland.

In any case, to me they truly are the poster children for the universality of hip-hop. But they're more than a novelty -- they're actually really good. I don't understand what they're saying -- they rap in Kalaallisut, Danish and English.

And the more I listen, the more I want to expand this post. I love their song "Qitik" as well. And the video is wonderful -- a bunch of guys from Greenland in San Francisco Giants and New York Yankees hats. And the fact that one guy's wearing a Public Enemy jacket while another one has a custom Nuuk Posse jacket is priceless. Please give this a good listen:

No comments:

Post a Comment