music --- news --- culture --- debate

Friday, March 1, 2013

The Message about The Messenger

I picked up Johnny Marr's The Messenger when it came out this week, but I haven't had a chance to really listen to it until today. I had heard three songs off the album, which I posted about earlier, and pretty well liked what I heard. But I wasn't knocked out. Until I heard this track:




That's "New Town Velocity" and it's everything I'd hoped for from a Marr solo track. I plan on giving this record a lot of time in both the car and the iPhone (and also in the basement!) -- which reminds me of my dilemma about this album: Should I download it on iTunes or buy the actual CD? I choose the latter. I wanted to own something tangible, and I wanted to listen in the car (I don't have an AUX input.) And, despite being forced to jump through many additional hoops just to enjoy the music I bought, I was able to get it onto the iPhone as well. I think I'm rebelling against our digital world.

No doubt I'll have more on Johnny's solo album in the days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment