music --- news --- culture --- debate

Friday, December 27, 2013

Best of 2013 - Part 2

I wish I could come up with all the musicology and pithy comments that Court produces, but I'm a get to the point kinda guy.  Here's my list for 2013.  As usual, Court and I overlap in some areas, but are far apart in others.  I think we both agree that "In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery" by Capital Cities was one of the best albums of the year.


1.  "Coming Home" - Butch Walker

A friend asked me recently (as often happens), who is that guy you are always going to see live?  I said he is the best singer-songwriter of the last 20 years.  Its no joke, he writes for himself and he writes for others, and manages to keep those styles perfectly separated.

2.  "Done And Dusted" - Less Than Jake

Gainsville's own should have disappeared from existence 10 years ago, like so many other punk/ska bands that had good runs, but the problem is they keep producing great albums year after year.  This one is no exception.

3.  "Royals" - Lorde

Yeah, you're sick of it now (and so am I), but I loved it the first time I heard it.  "We're driving Cadillacs in our dreams…"  Yeah we are.

4.  "Dreaming" - Smallpools

I can't wait to hear an entire album from this impossibly catchy EIAR (see definition below) group.

5.  "Pompeii" - Bastille

The haunting background chants of this track from Bastille's EP "Haunt" are only assuaged by the pure pop of the chorus "How am I gonna be an optimist about this?…"

6.  "Diane Young" - Vampire Weekend

Everyone knows I'm an Elvis man through and through, and the pure E and Buddy Holly jump of this track makes you realize that good music never dies, it just gets modified.  When Ezra Koenig sings "baby, baby, baby" I think I'm in a malt shop in the 50s.  Solid gold.

7.  "Sacrilege" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

The slow build of this track doesn't get you the first time or even the second, but by the third you are completely hooked.

8.  "Save Rock And Roll" - Fall Out Boy

When you're an emo/pop-punk band that can duet with Elton John and make it not sound ridiculous, but ridiculously awesome, you're doing something right.  When they play it live they have a constantly changing backdrop of rock and roll icons, including Biggie & 2Pac.  Yep.

9.  "Wake Me Up" - Avici

Most original song of the year - who knew country and EDM went together?

10.  "The Mother We Share" - Chvrches

There has to be a name for all this electronic-influenced alternative rock, let's call it EIAR.  Capital Cities, Robert DeLong, Smallpools, Chvrches, etc. - its all awesome.

11.  "Kangaroo Court" - Capital Cities

That synthesizer intro is all you need - best track from the best album of the year.  "The judge pulls me aside, says c'est la vie, let your darker side come out to feed…"  Indeed.

12.  "The Way It Was" - The Killers

While their latest album "Battle Born" didn't receive much of a warm welcome from alternative radio or critics, its as good as anything The Killers have ever done.  With visceral lyrics like "I drove through the desert last night, I carried the weight of our last fight, Elvis singing 'Don't Be Cruel', and I wonder if you feel it too, its like we're going under…", you feel like you are the one who is lonely and lovelorn in Las Vegas.


1 comment:

  1. The critics were right there with you on Vampire Weekend. And you hit it with your writeup on "Diane Young". That said, for me, they're one of the rare bands that I like less the more I hear them. I initially loved the debut record, but there was something about its cuteness that didn't wear well for me. That said, they're probably the best band ever to come out of Columbia University... but I digress.

    ReplyDelete