music --- news --- culture --- debate

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Best of 2013 - Better Late Than Never



I apologize for the delay in presenting the Best of 2013.  Frankly, each year gets a little tougher for me to find new music that really inspired me or that became part of any regular listening rotation.  Because of this, I dragged my feet a little in creating this list.  Here is what I have come up with.  I truly feel it might be the worst selections I have ever composed, but hey, it is what it is.  Without further ado, here is the best of 2013.

The two best:

“Toe Cutter” Thee Oh Sees.

I picked this as one of my “New Tunes on Monday” and I really liked it.  It has a funky grove, underwater-sounding lyrics, a little surf guitar scales being played.  I realize it’s not for everyone, but it’s a groove that I got stuck in for a while in 2013.

“Black Skinhead” Kanye West

I like Kanye West.  The persona is bigger than life.  I love that he compares himself to Warhol.  I love that he feels he should be commissioned like DiVinci and other great artists.  I recently read on Grantland that he compares his album Yeezus to Springsteen’s Nebraska.  Still looking for the parallels, but I saw him perform this on Saturday Night Live and was impressed.  Plus, he gets points for being a South Side guy.

Third time is not a charm – and I stuck by you.

“Come a Little Closer” Cage the Elephant

To me, Cage the Elephant is one of the newer bands of today that I appreciate.  “Come a Little Closer” pales in comparison to the work on their previous two albums, but it’s still listenable  - more than much of the alt-rock scene of today.

“Unbelievers” Vampire Weekend

Much like Cage the Elephant, the third album of Vampire Weekend pales heavily in comparison to their first two.  Still, I gave them a greater listening to than most of what was released in 2013, so I felt that deemed them worthy. This, to me, was one of the better songs on the record.

Not on the same tier, but not bad

“High School Lover” Cayucas

It was the bass line that got me.  These Santa Monica twins give a cool Franz Ferdinand feel.  Pretty cool sound.  Editor’s note: As I am ready to upload this, I didn’t realize Discordant #1 also chose this.  I forgot he pegged this as song of the summer.  I dismissed it when the “Blurred Lines/Get Lucky” battle enthralled the summer sound waves. I dismissed it, and now I eat my words.

“Me & You & Jackie Mattoo” Superchunk

I love the way this song opens up with a great opening line “I hate music...what is it worth.”  Pure power pop – which is my wheel house.  It sounds like it came right out of 1978.




The “Jim” influence

“Stoned and Starving” – Parquet Courts

A shared song with Discordant #1.  A quality newer band from Brooklyn.  The record itself was one of the best of 2013.  Interesting how Discordant #1 & myself both discovered it without influencing each other.  I guess it’s a sign of a quality song.

“Elephant” Tame Impala

A great groove.  Heavy bass, and that fuzzy guitar makes this song rock.  It might sound familiar for it was used in a Blackberry commercial. 

“Tiger Tank” Speedy Ortiz

The theme of female vocals is most present this year with another new band.  Originated from a counselor at a summer songwriting camp, she began writing and composing songs using her laptop.  From there, the band expanded to produce some decent new material. 


“We the Common” Thao and the Get Down and Stay Down

I really liked “Beat (Health, Life & Fire) a lot.  So when they released a new song, I was curiously interested and excited to see what they came up with.  I’m not big on the banjo, but once the song kicks in, I like the direction it goes. 

Too much pop radio with the girls…

“I Love It” Iconna Pop

When you have three girls in the car and all three belt out the chorus at the top of their lungs, it can become contagious fun.  I’m sure we will never hear from Iconna Pop again, but…”I don’t care, I LOVE IT!”

“Royals” Lorde

I know Discordant #3 had this listed, and I agree.  An impressive song from a seventeen year old Auckie.   Great imagery: “Maybachs, tigers on a gold leash” and that slow snap of the fingers.  It has worn out its welcome, but it’s one of the better songs of 2013.


“Still Into You” Paramore

Not my style of band, but something about the music in this song that seems hurried fascinates me.  I also like that Hayley Williams voce sounds so chipper, when in reality this double entendre song is partially about her struggles. 

“Rosanna” – Wax

When I first heard this, I thought it was by the 90’s bad Wax (of the California fame.)  Sadly, it’s not.  It’s an American rapper with a Cypress Hill-like beat.  The girl’s voice is annoying, but in a sea of awful pop songs, this is another one I could tolerate.

…and when new is not truly new

“Heaven on Earth” Boston

I heard this on the radio the other day, and I could have sworn it was from an older Boston album.  IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME!  The new album is the last featuring vocalist Brad Delp before his suicide.  I love that he and Tom Scholz believed in the mantra, “If it ain’t broke…”

…and no, I truly do not think this is one of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment