music --- news --- culture --- debate

Sunday, January 26, 2014

2014 Grammy Blog

Ah yes, it's that time of year again, and here we are.  Our 3rd annual Grammy blog.  Enough of the small talk...

8:00 - Beyonce opens up with "Drunken Love."  All we are fixated on is her ass.  The song is not good, and out comes hubby Jay Z to do his thing.  Sorry, I just don't get it.

8:07 - Our host, once again is LL Cool J, and he is trying to let us not forget who he is by putting his song titles into his speech.

8:14 - Maclemore wins  I guess Velvet suits are in this year.

8:16 - Lorde performs live.  A decent live performance.  Too much makeup.  As my 14 year old daughter says, "What's up with those pants?"

8:28 - Sorry I was too bored to type.  I was surfing Facebook.

8:30 - Daft Punk wins.  I love they are wearing their helmets.  Pharell looks like Dudley Do Right.  A very awkward acceptance speech.

8:33 - Juicy J & Katy Perry.  I'm getting old.  So much time & effort is put into production and choreography.  I guess if you like these artists, it's a great show.  I wonder if it is to mask a lack of musicianship.  I'm a sucker for watching a talented musician play his instrument.

8:43 - Why the big push for Chicago?  What is Robin Thicke adding to them besides a velvet suit?  I give Chicago a little credit, musically, they sound sharp.  Not that I like the songs, but they sound like the records.  Where is Peter Cetera?  As my daughter says " a bunch of old men dancing to Blurred Lines.  Not Cool."  At least Ringo gave the nod of approval.

9:03 - what's up with all the retreads for best rock song?   At least the winner came from the Sound City documentary.  In all sincerity, Courtney Love hates that the remaining members of Nirvana got together to perform that with Sir Paul.

9:05 - My younger girls stayed up for Taylor Swift.  To me, this would be a good time to put them to bed.

9:17 - My wife says she likes Pink.  Deja Vu moment: didn't she do this same acrobatic circus act  last year at the Grammy's?  I know I have seen her do this before.  Which to me is really disappointing.  We are all fascinated with her legs.  Monsterous without an ounce of cellulite.  The guy from fun. looks like he could get snapped in half by Pink.  Nice ironic hipster mustache!  He is having trouble with his notes - yikes!

9:23 - I'm fascinated with the clips they showed for best solo pop performance.  What were those?

9:25 - Lorde is a kid.  Glad to see it.  Much talk about how serious she takes herself.

9:30 - I like how watching Ozzy stammer through a live read has become "cute" like an old grandpa.  Best Hard Rock album for Black Sabbath.  Reminds me of when Tull won.

9:32 - Why do we need to see Ringo sing?  Peace & love. Peace & love.

9:36 - Odd, uncomfortable joking between Jamie Foxx & Jay Z.  My daughter asked if that's the "golddigger?" I like Jay Z best when he was a sidekick...

9:44 - a little love for P.E. & the Beasties!

9:53 - No need to comment on the light up jackets.

10:00 - people on FB are talking about how much they liked that song and her light up boots.  I think I need new friends.

10:01 - Julia Roberts - rock goddess!

10:02 - Tonight is all about Paul & Ringo.  I heard Paul play "Queenie Eye" back on Howard Stern about 9 months ago.  It does have a Beatles sound.  What is the video that is playing along with it?  

10:04 - a Yoko sighting, dancing and showing off some 75 year old cleavage.  Even worse, there's Sean Lennon right next to her.  How sad he has to still pal around with mom.

10:16 - With Johnny Cash dead, why should I care about the Highwaymen?

10:20 - Kris Kristofferson  looks lost.  Rough few minutes.

10:22 - People love the Zach Brown Band.  I can't say I know a single song.

10:25 - I'm not a fan of "Get Lucky," but I predict this will be the highlight of the show.

10:30 - ...and I was correct.  Enjoyable.  My daughter informed me Yoko Ono is trending on Twitter.  I told her she should be.

10:35 - correction.  That was 80 year old cleavage.  Peace Yoko, peace.

10:39 - now my wife is asking how old Carole King is.  The Grammy committee is  officially old.  Knock off the stroke fest you two!

10:41 - we're taking bets.  I lost.  I bet "Same Love." My daughter is officially more in the know.

10:49 - Glad to see Lou Reed get his due.  The Velvet Underground's influence on music is highly under-rated.

10:50 - Wow.  "One" getting mainstream respect.

10:59 - How will history look at 2014 when two French guys with matching white suits and helmets win Record of the Year?

11:10 - "Same Love" doesn't do it for me.  I respect that a hip-hop artist had the guts to speak out about homosexuality.  I just don't like the song - or Madonna.

11:22 - "In Memorium" who gets the biggest applause? The session musician for Steely Dan is winning!

11:25 - Phil Ramone takes the lead...and wins.

11:27 - It sounds like a syllable is either rushed or missing in the Phil Everly tribute by Billie Joe Armstrong & Miranda Lambert.

11:36 - Daft Punk = album of the year.  The robots generally seem happy.

11:39 - "This is how we rock & roll."  Trent Reznor, Lindsey Buckingham, Queens of the Stone Age and Dave Grohl.  This is what the committee members "feel" is alternative.

11:42 - Some serious maraca playing going on.  What an anti-climatic ending.  I remember a few years back, we ended with Springsteen doing "London Calling." The state of music is not  a good one. Let's hope for a great 2014.







No comments:

Post a Comment