music --- news --- culture --- debate

Monday, February 21, 2011

A Blessing or a Curse - Pt. 1


My kids love music: all of them. The problem – their musical preferences blow. ITunes cards are like gold in our house. Everybody wants something. The question is, what is being chosen.
I believe in being an equal opportunist. Everyone should get what he or she like (as long as it’s clean or appropriate.) But I’m in a conundrum. Should I influence their choices, or let them discover music on their own?
As a kid, my tastes, early on, were shaped by my parents. My mom was the music lover in my house. Her love of mellow rock like Simon & Garfunkel, Seals & Crofts, Carole King & the Beatles were groups that I still appreciate today.
My dad would go berserk and turn the radio off when a guitar solo from Chicago’s “25 or 6 to 4” or Steely Dan's "Reelin’ In the Years” came on. From there I found my own musical paths.
My kids think the likes of Iyaz, David Guetta, Flo Rida, and Usher are the greatest. My son even told me once “Rock stinks. Pop & Rap are what’s cool.” While letting them listen to Sirius Hits 1, Mumford & Sons came on. I was excited that something I found interesting came on their station. All I got was, “Change the station.”
I hope that their love for music continues, but we can find a common avenue – or is that just me getting old?

No comments:

Post a Comment