music --- news --- culture --- debate

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The iTunes Conundrum

When do you download single songs, and when do you download whole albums? I've had a hard time pulling the trigger on iTunes lately, ever since they raised single track prices to $1.29 while lowering many albums to $7.99.

Take Sleigh Bells, for instance. The whole Treats record is $7.99. I've heard most of it, and it's fine, but apart from, say, three standout tracks ("Tell 'Em", "Kids", "Rill Rill") I'm don't feel like I need to own it. But by the time I've purchased three tracks at $1.29 each, I'm halfway there. So what do I do?

In the old, pre-iTunes days, my philosophy on buying music was much more liberal: If there were two good songs on a record, I'd usually buy it. There were only a handful of bands whose albums I would buy without hearing anything. But now, with the option of cherry-picking individual tracks, I have too much choice and end up buying less music.

How do you deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment