music --- news --- culture --- debate

Thursday, September 1, 2011

2010: An Underwhelming Year

OK, It's now September. We're two-thirds through with 2011 and I realize I never burned copies of my Best of 2010 CD. That's party because I've been busy, but mostly because 2010 kinda sucked musically. Here's my (admittedly weak) list:

"Pumped Up Kicks" - Foster the People

I realize these guys broke pretty big this year, but this song was my song of the year in 2010. Just a cool mellow summer vibe, and it would be deserving on a best-of list for any year.

"Primitive 3D" - Deerhunter

Neat little piece of 60s inspired psychedelia. You don't hear too many guitar/theremin solos.


"The High Road" - Broken Bells

Danger Mouse makes good things happen. And this collaboration with James Mercer of The Shins is no exception. Maybe my album of the year for 2010 -- I really dug this record. The video's a tad weak, though.

"Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)" - Arcade Fire

I'm a sucker for songs about controlling urban growth. And turns out, I'm not alone: Arcade Fire won a Grammy. Then again, so did Lady Antebellum.


"Rill Rill" - Sleigh Bells


The best M.I.A. album M.I.A. never made. I respect Sleigh Bells for sounding like no one else, except M.I.A. of course.


"What's It In For" - Avi Buffalo

Here's an under-rated gem by a teenager-fronted band from Long Beach. I first heard this song on a flight to Houston back in January of 2010 and it stayed with me all year.


"Heavens on Fire" - The Radio Department
OK, this is a bit preachy and obvious -- I chalk that up to the band being from Sweden (Quick - Name one really good Swedish band?) But on the positive side, this song's almost got a Madchester feel to it.

"Home" - Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
This is another exceptional track -- and it would stand out on a best of the past five years list. Reminds me of the big move we made late last summer. Plus, I'm partial to concept albums about messianic figures who are sent to save the Earth but fail because they keep falling in love with girls.


"Slow Motion" - Panda Bear

Very cool track -- with one shimmery phrase repeated and built on for the over-four minute duration. Also, if you search "Slow Motion Panda Bear" on YouTube, you also get this.

"Summer Well" - Interpol

These are the guys who get the credit for bringing back the Joy Division sound. Critics might chalk them up as a tribute band, but when you're paying tribute to the very best, that's OK. I thought their previous few efforts didn't live up to expectations, but they came through last year with this one.

"Out of Tune" - Real Estate

I had my own Real Estate trouble last year, but it had nothing to do with this Ridgewood, NJ band. Sweet Byrds-like jangle pop. Very melancholy but very catchy.


"I Walked" - Sufjan Stevens
This came out late in the year and when I first heard it, it blew me away. It still does. Ranks up there with "Chicago" as Sufjan's very best work.


"The Cave" - Mumford and Sons

I'm cheating here -- this track is an afterthought -- something I got into this year and retroactively am including on my Best of 2010 because it came out last year and I was late to the game.

"Fashion Party" - Das Racist featuring Chairlift

I'm cheating here, too. I only got into these guys this year, but they broke last year so again it's a case of retroactive inclusion. This is a totally cool track -- all chillwave and not entirely like the rest of the Das Racist catalog, from which I could have chosen any number of alternatives to include here. For some reason, this is a scaled down version -- I think the production on the mixtape version was a little fuller. BTW, the new DR CD is out on September 13th!

"I Can Change" - LCD Soundsystem

Turns out this will be the last LCD Soundsystem record. Nothing on the new record can touch 2007's phenomenal "Someone Great", which I rank among the five best songs of the decade.


"Glitter Freeze" - Gorillaz featuring Mark E. Smith

You had to figure anything featuring both Damon Albarn and Mark E. Smith would find its way on this list. From the very first moment - MES snarling "Where's North from here?" - you know it's solid.



"Stick to My Side" - Pantha du Prince

Cool electronica from German producer Hendrik Weber featuring vocals by Panda Bear's Noah Lennox.



So that's it. Again, it wasn't a great year -- but as I compiled this post, I realize it was better than I thought when I started. And as always, I welcome your thoughts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment