music --- news --- culture --- debate

Friday, September 30, 2011

Song In My Head


"Paper Planes" by M.I.A. I always thought it lacked the bite that her earlier work has ("Fire Fire" and "Galang" which incidentally was co-written by Elastica's Justine Frischmann), but it's incredibly catchy with that Clash sample and schoolyard chant, and as violent as it sounds, it's actually not about violence. Someone ought to tell that 50 Cent and Lil Wayne, both of whom ruined the song with their versions. Someone ought to tell Wayne and Curtis that there's a difference between gang-banging and the perceived notion in society that immigrants are dangerous.

1 comment:

  1. I teach linking verbs using this song. The kids dig it. I personally, love this song. VERY catchy. Can see why it sticks in your head.

    ReplyDelete