music --- news --- culture --- debate

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Happy RUSH Hashanah !?!

These are the words that flashed across my screen as I was flicking channels and came across VH1 Classic.  Needless to say, I stayed for about an hour watching the 2010 documentray Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage.

Here's the trailer - it says it all...


The documentary was well made, filmed in HD, and featured some great and interesting musicians who all seem to love Rush.  My favorite was this one (just a snippet of his interview.)


Neil Pert's take on things was actually interesting.  I liked that he said that he never gets sick of playing "Tom Sawyer."  He feels the song is so difficult, that when he does get it right live, (which he claims doesn't happen often) he feels great about it.

Also, has there been a more male-centric audience in music than Rush?  Think hard.  Name a girl, who not only might like Rush, but could name a Rush song.  Strange, I never really got into them.  I remember in college, all my fraternity brothers were jacked to go see them, and they were shocked, knowing I was a music guy, who had no interest in them at the time.  Oh well.  I passed on other great shows too.

Lastly, in a recent comedy that no one has seen, I Love You, Man, Paul Rudd and Jason Segel find each others as "bros" and share a love for all things Rush.

2 comments:

  1. Jack Black is the best. By the way, his new movie is a must see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similarly, Jason Segel's character in Freaks and Geeks was a drummer who loved Rush and was stoked that his drum kit had one more piece than Neil Pert's.

    ReplyDelete