music --- news --- culture --- debate

Friday, March 2, 2012

Johnny Marr Gets His Own Guitar

Johnny Marr is a certified guitar god. And now the folks at Fender agree. I just got my new Musician's Friend catalog and was thrilled to see this entry: it's the brand new Fender Johnny Marr Jaguar -- with his name on the headstock and everything. And it can be yours for $1750.


I did some further research and found this terrific video on the Fender website of Johnny explaining all the things that went into his signature model. Oh, and he plays a bit on it. And it sounds really good.

It's no secret how great a guitarist I think Marr is. But I wouldn't think Fender would take a step like this. After all, this is usually reserved for the absolute legends or harder rockers -- Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Steve Vai (even Ace Frehley doesn't surprise me.) After all, Marr isn't flashy -- he's technical. But he is masterful. And I was happy to see him achieve this level of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment