music --- news --- culture --- debate

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Three Of My Favorite Things


Honestly, this is all coincidental. First I found the new Fender Johnny Marr guitar, then I see Johnny Marr in a skit on "Portlandia", then my brother sends me the Mario Brothers version of "This Charming Man."


And now this. The Amoeba Records "What's In My Bag" series of videos. Each video features another celebrity shopper talking about what they're about to buy at Amoeba. I stumbled upon it today when I found Johnny Marr's "What's In My Bag.". It's no secret how much I love Amoeba -- I've even done a version of my own Amoeba list right here. Marr's buying some Ennio Morricone records and a few documentaries -- including about one about Ralph Waldo Emerson he doesn't think will be any good. (Sure enough, the little clip they play of the documentary proves him right.)

And then... yet another coincidence. Johnny's buying a Wire CD. And I was just reading an article in The New Yorker about a 15-year-old girl in Vancouver who adores Wire and made a bunch of videos for Wire songs. She's even reached out -- admittedly annoyingly so -- to Colin Newman, who basically told her to f--- off. Sad, but funny.

So Johnny Marr to Amoeba to Wire... Three of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment