music --- news --- culture --- debate

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

RIP Lou Reed

There have been so many great obits about Lour Reed that I cannot do him any justice.  Please read one of my favorite writers, Chuck Klosterman's take on Lou Reed, the man.  Also, in 2008, the AV Club did a fair portrayal of "The Five Faces of Lou Reed," as he changed throughout time. 

I have always had a fascination with Lou Reed.  There has always been a coolness/darkness about him that fascinated me.  He epitomized what I visualized New York was before I ever really frequented Manhattan.  I painted a portrait of him in 9th grade.  Even in pictures, he came across so angry, smug, and arrogant that I was drawn to what he was all about.  I ended up reading a biography, Transformer, about his youth, elector-shock therapy, issues with sexuality, life at Syracuse University, into the Velvet Underground and beyond. 

To me. the Velvet Underground's"banana album"(The Velvet Underground & Nico) is a masterpiece.  Odd and different, but still listenable today.  Much the opposite, but still a masterpiece is 1975's Metal Music Machine four sides of pure feedback with the last side on a loop to continually play forever.  I still don't know if I call it bullshit or brilliance.

"Sweet Jane" from Reed's Rock & Roll Animal is one of the best recorded live songs ever.  The long intro into a new take (at the time) of a Velvet Underground classic is still a song that I listen to happily when it shuffles on my ipod. 




No comments:

Post a Comment