music --- news --- culture --- debate

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Song In My Head


This is really unusual for me. I overheard a very classic sounding R&B song yesterday and it struck me. Not just for how Motown it sounded, but also for how modern it sounded. I realize that's a bit of a paradox, but you'll know what I mean when you hear it.

It's Raphael Saadiq's 2009 track "100 Yard Dash" -- it's effortlessly cool and infectiously funky. And the video is great too. I also hear Cupid & Psyche '85 era Scritti Politti in this tune (those backing vocals!).

Fun fact about Raphael Saddiq: He was a founding member of the late-80s/early-90s R&B band Tony! Toni! Tone!

Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. That was surprisingly fun. The question is, where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walked into the control room the other day and our audio engineer was playing it. It instantly grabbed me.

      Delete