music --- news --- culture --- debate

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Day 3 - The Stone Roses

Day 3 of 10 of my all time favorite albums that are still in regular rotation -- in no particular order. I've enjoyed reading the lists from  fellow Discordants John Cari and Darius Gambino and I'm pleased to share my latest entry: It's 1989's debut album by Manchester's Stone Roses. 
The band had kicked around the Manchester scene for a few years before their debut, almost losing their drummer Reni to The Who (Pete Townshend recruited him, calling him the most naturally gifted drummer since Keith Moon). Lucky for us, The Who's loss is music's gain: Reni's dance-influenced beats combined with Mani's bass grooves laid the foundation for John Squire's psychedelic guitars and Ian Brown's larger-than-life vocals. And the result was a transcendent album that took cues from the past but blazed the way for the future -- defining Madchester and ushering in rave culture and Britpop.
Every track on this album is a gem, starting with the slow burn of "I Wanna Be Adored" (one of the greatest intros ever), the triumphant "She Bangs the Drums", the lovely "Waterfall", through my personal favorite "Made of Stone" and ending with the messianic "I am the Resurrection".
Ultimately, the Stone Roses are a cautionary tale -- a band that would never again match the dizzying heights of their debut. 
I first got into this record in 1991, when it formed the soundtrack to a summer I spent in Los Angeles. In 2016 I was lucky enough to see the Stone Roses at Madison Square Garden -- and it ranks as one of the best live shows I've ever seen: 20,000 people dancing, singing, practically worshipping before four lads from Manchester.
And by the way, Pete Townshend is right -- Reni is an incredible drummer. Look him up on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br7W6qwmYeU

No comments:

Post a Comment