music --- news --- culture --- debate

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Day 9 - Ocean Rain by Echo and the Bunnymen


Day 9 of 10 in no particular order: My 10 all-time favorite albums that are STILL in my regular rotation. As I've gone through this process I realized my choices -- while in no particular order -- are in tiers. And there are about four records that I could rightfully include in the 9 or 10 slots, which means -- much to John Cari's chagrin -- I will be forced to exclude some great albums. I toyed with the idea of getting crazy with this pick, but I have approached this exercise honestly, and with that in mind, my choice today is Ocean Rain by Echo and the Bunnymen. Darius Gambino offered a nice write-up on the album in one of his earlier posts -- it certainly was a record that he and I bonded over back in the day. But it's stayed with me from the 80s and it still gets more play on my turntable than any other Bunnymen record. Maybe that's because it's just so warm and lush -- maybe it's because the songs are like old friends. Maybe it's because every time I've seen Echo and the Bunnymen in concert, the songs I looked forward to hearing are ones from this album: "Seven Seas", "The Killing Moon", "Silver", "Crystal Days" and, of course, perennial set closer "Ocean Rain". I was even lucky enough -- along with Kate Premo -- to see Echo and the Bunnymen play Ocean Rain in its entirety at Radio City Music Hall in 2008, complete with a 16-piece orchestra. We got our credit card scammed by our cab driver on the way home to Brooklyn, but that was a small price to pay for an album as good as Ocean Rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment