music --- news --- culture --- debate

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Song In My Head

For me, it's Graham Coxon's "Bittersweet Bundle of Misery" off his 2004 album Happiness in Magazines (which I picked up for $2 at a used book/CD store yesterday). The song -- and the album -- picks up where Blur left off, and, true to form, it's quite a catchy tune. Hear it for yourself:

By the way, Graham Coxon is the rare non-frontman to enjoy a solo career doing things he didn't do as part of a band. He was Blur's guitarist, and he occasionally sung lead ("Coffee and TV"). I guess all the members of The Eagles -- Joe Walsh, Don Henley, Glenn Frey -- had similar career paths but there aren't too many who follow that trajectory. Johnny Marr tried it -- to a lesser degree of success. Who am I missing?

1 comment:

  1. One note about the video: Graham sings about his Fender Telecaster ("And a headful of words/and my Telecaster/Spinning faster") yet he's playing a Fender Jaguar. Small point.

    ReplyDelete