music --- news --- culture --- debate

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Birmingham's Best - Do You Agree?

I stumbled on this listing from the Birmingham Mail -- the top 10 bands from Birmingham. And I'd love hear what you think:
#1 - Black Sabbath
#2 - Duran Duran
#3 - ELO
#4 - Ocean Colour Scene
#5 - The Move
#6 - The Beat (The English Beat)
#7 - The Moody Blues
#8 - UB40
#9 - The Twang
#10 - The Streets

I think it's hard to argue with the first two. Personally, I'd move the Beat and UB40 higher. I think Ocean Colour Scene and The Move can come down a bit. The Twang have promise, but haven't been around long enough. And I think you know how I feel about The Streets. Mike Skinner's the man.

Here's the link to the full article.
http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2011/10/05/birmingham-s-top-ten-bands-do-you-agree-with-our-list-97319-29542854/

1 comment:

  1. I & 2 are deservingly so. ELO has the "hit factor." I still find them so weird, yet fascinating. I love the videos with the electric violins that are blue.

    The Beat should be next. Their songs don't feel dated, and I can name so many great ones. My personal favorite off the list.

    Although I do not like, or get the Moody Blues, they should be #5. The success of "Nights in White Satin" alone has transcended over 40 years.

    #6 (Not listed) Judas Priest. Say what you will about the genre, they are one of the true pioneers of metal. The average person (or WZZO listener) can probably name 2-3 Priest songs.

    #7 UB40. This group did more for the ska/reggae movement than most could imagine. "If it Happens Again" is a nice little song.

    #8 (not listed) Spencer Davis Group. Yes, they were the ones who brought Steve Windwood to prominence (and yes, where would we be with out "Roll With It.") But, "Give Me Some Lovin'," & "I'm a Man" still sound strong.

    #9 The Streets. I am in agreement with you here. I love Mike Skinner's original sound and take on things. I don't tire of his ramblings, and find him quite clever. Thanks for turning me on.

    #10 Ocean Colour Scene. They are HUGE in in the UK. Never really took off here.

    The Move, General Public and Fine Young Canibals are all spin-off or origination groups that spawned or broke off of something successful.

    HM: Musical Youth - who doesn't love "Pass the Dutchie?"
    Dexy's Midnight Runners - 'nuff said
    Editors - I like these guys.

    Sorry, I do not know The Twang.

    ReplyDelete