music --- news --- culture --- debate

Friday, October 28, 2011

My 15 for 15 (based off of NME's selections.)

Sorry for the delay on this.  I have been swamped, but called Court to talk about this.  I was extremely disappointed in the selections that NME came up with for the best songs over the past 15 years.  I KNOW I can come up with 15 great songs that were not even considered.  So, based off of their list, here is what I came up with.

#15 - Smile, Lily Allen (NME's rank - 104)
A cute little song about bad boyfriends and revenge.  Pretty "poppy," but I think it earned its stripes.

#14 - Bloc Party, Banquet (20)
Court turned me on to this.  I think we will never hear from them again, but pretty cool song.


#13 - Pumping Up Your Stereo - Supergrass (124)
Such an upbeat, moving song.  I think if I were cleaning the house, this would keep me motivated.

#12 - Young Folks, Peter, Bjorn, & John (93)
I don't know if I would really want to listen to this song at this very moment due to overplay, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's a great song, that YOU KNOW you were whistling along too!

#11 - Take Me Out, Franz Ferdinand (27)
I am not one who loves to dance, but I find myself tapping my feet to this one.  It's that driving beat!  I love the way the song changes ala Paul McCartney (1971-1979).  Terrific.

#10 - Paper Planes, MIA (15)
This song took a long time to warm up to.  My kids like it.  They would play it, and it grew on me.  I know they have no clue what the song is about. 

#9 Paranoid Android, Radiohead (1)
I must admit, I am not crazy about Radiohead like others are.  I respect them.  This song and video intrigued me.  I bought OK Computer and enjoyed it.  I am not as warm on Kid A, or others like so many others are. 

#8 - A Punk, Vampire Weekend (62)
Probably the most exciting new thing that I bought into when it came out.  I just felt they were so fresh.  I can still enjoy this song now. 

#7 - Song 2, Blur (79)
It's a shame Blur is best know for this 2:00+ "grunge" song, when they are so talented.  Many great songs to chose from, but man this song gets you pumped up!

#6 - Ms. Jackson, Outkast (81)
Next to the B-Boys, I feel these guys are it in the hip-hop world.  Andre 3000 is the thinking man's wrapper.  Here he promises to be a good father to his child with Erikah Badu, even if they aren't together.  "I am for real!"

#5 - Clint Eastwod, Gorillaz (141)
141, really?  A weird concept, but works in all dimensions.  Plus, it revived the career of Del, the Funk Homosapien!





#4 - Reptillia, The Strokes (129)
I love the Strokes.  It may not be their best song, but ti gets stuck in my head anythime I hear it. 

#3 - Maps, Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs. (55)
Man this song is moving.  Such emotions when listening to this song.  I love how, much like the Velvet Underground, the song goes form soft to hard.  Terrifc song.

#2 - Jesus Walks, Kanye West (69)
I'm sure it might be shocking that Kanye makes my list, especially this high.  The College Dropout is a fantstic album before West cracked and let stardom get to his head.  A very heartfelt and honest song about religon in pop culure with the dramatic strings and chanting.  I would say it is in constant rotation on my iphone. 

#1 - Where It's At?, Beck
One of the most creative and innovative musicians out there today.  Has tried (and succeeded) with many different styles and genres, but is at his best with the non-sensical rhymes and the Dust Brothers sampling.  I don't think there was a record like thsis ever made again.

Well, that's my list.  "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor," by the Artic Monkeys, "Hate to Say I Told You So," by the Hives, "Firestarter" by Prodigy, "The Hindu Times" by Oasis, and "The Scientist" by Coldpay all got consideration.  Once again, the list left off soem great songs & heavy hitters. 

1 comment:

  1. We've got plenty of overlap, with Beck, Vampire Weekend, M.I.A., Franz Ferdinand and Block Party and Gorillaz -- that's more than one-third of both of our lists right there.

    My thoughts on your other picks:
    "Smile" is good at #15 -- would have made my top 25.

    Peter Bjorn and John at #12 -- definitely a ubiquitous track that I just grew tired of. And, yes, I'll probably whistle along, but I'm not happy about it.

    Radiohead was a big hang-up for me. I put no Radiohead songs on my list, even though they were well-represented on NME's list and are - without much argument - THE band of the past 15 years. That's because I was holding out for Kid A or Amnesiac tracks, and -- stunningly -- there weren't any.

    "Song 2" honestly wouldn't make my top 15 of Blur songs. Trouble is, most of their stuff came out more than 15 years ago. So I chose "Out of Time" from the under-rated Think Tank album, and it's not even the best song on that record.

    "Ms. Jackson" is a great song. Top 20 for sure for me.

    I'm curious about why you'd take "Reptilia" over anything from Is This It? I think -- in retrospect - the answer to Is This It? is Yep, That's It. As in, you don't need to buy another Strokes record.

    "Maps" was a late cut for me -- I chose "Zero" instead.

    My favorite Kanye song is "All Falls Down" also from The College Dropout and also not on NME's list.

    And sadly, I think you're right about Block Party. (Even though they play two Telecasters in the video!!)

    ReplyDelete