music --- news --- culture --- debate

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Song In My Head

 

Das Racist's "Fashion Party." Okay, I've had this song in my head for about two months now. I just love the juxtaposition between Chairlift's Caroline Polachek -- who's probably pretty fashionable -- and the DR guys who sound and rap like they're anything but. It's a great parody -- and be sure to listen for some great lines -- like Heems saying "Garbageman Lanvin/Why you call it Lan-van?/People very educated out here in the Hamptons/Yes I'm tanned and Taliban chic/Shorty said I look like a Taliban freak/Mr. Talley Man told me I'm bananas last week/I'm Heems working on a line with Khalif." I just love how Heems builds up that rhyme.

My other favorite line is earlier in the song when Kool A.D. says "I'm like a fountain pen/I look like mountain men/But I'm not a mountain man/I'm a f---ing mountain, man/I f--- with fashion trends/My trends are fashion forward/Two dollar jeans and Gucci visors from the Dollar Store." The "mountain man"/"mountain, man" rhyme is so subtle.

Seriously, though, these guys are the real deal.

There's so many good lines in this song. And you really get the sense that the DR guys are at the party for the free food and drinks and probably the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment