music --- news --- culture --- debate

Friday, January 11, 2013

Best of 2012 - the EP

As I commented in a post previously, I felt a little disconnected to the newer music of 2012.  After looking at Court's list, I went back over my notes, downloads and purchases to find a few songs I liked from the past year.  Since I only have a few, I called it my "EP."  Tragically, I do not think many of these tracks will stand the test of time like previous "Best of's."  So, here it goes.

Craig Finn - "Honolulu Blues."
Craig Finn of The Hold Steady always reminded me of a schizophrenic Bob Dylan or younger, diarrhea-mouthed Bruce Springsteen.  Very wordy - to the point of being rambly.  When I saw his record was released, I wasn't crazy about the single, but I liked the second track. 

The Lumineers - "Ho Hey"
Here is my radio-friendly choice.  I've been hearing it a lot lately.  Much like stated in one of the previous "Best of" segment, lo-fi, alt-folk seems to be the trend; unless your gravitate to indie-hipster synth rock - see Court's best of.  This is probably the best of the bunch.  Especially since Mumford & Sons second release sounds like their 1st record, part 2.  Besides, these guys are American. 

Low Cut Connie - "Say Yes"
I can't even find a video for this one, so I chose a performance from Philadelphia's North Star Bar.  I like rockabilly, especially when it spurns out of control with the likes of the Revered Horton Heat or the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.  These guys are a little different, they have a piano player who sounds like Jerry Lee Lewis emerged inside a punk band.  Something different.

Jack White "Sixteen Saltines"
People rag on Jack White, but I like him.  I think he is a talent.  His solo debut didn't disappoint.  I think Blunderbus is one of the better albums of the year. I liked the chaos and the randomness of eating saltines becoming a song.

Japandroids - "The House That Heaven Built"
Probably not a mainstream best of, but I'm sure it made many "alt" best of's.  It got a bunch of radio play on Sirius XMU & Alt Nation.  It rocks, and is one of the bands (much like, say Gaslight Anthem) that are still holding on to balls out rock and roll.

The Vaccines - "Teenage Icon"
A cool little punk band that has some roots in the Ramones and the Strokes.  The album, Coming of Age was one of my better finds.  I liked this, their second release off the record.


Also in consideration were: Howler's "Beach Sluts," Pond's "Fantastic Explosion of Time, " and Toy's "Colours Running Out."

4 comments:

  1. You know, I figured one or both of you would go for Low Cut Connie... That's some good old fashioned bar rock... and from Philly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some more thoughts -- in no particular order:

    I think the Vaccines track is one of the better ones of the year... and I know a lot of critics agree with you there. I saw that album on a lot of Best Of lists this year.

    The Japandroids song's a winner, too. It doesn't grab me in quite the same way as it grabs you both, but when two of the three of us have them on our list, we must be onto something.

    I always want to like Craig Finn and then when I actually listen to him or watch him I just he'd probably be a jerk in real life. Not sure why -- but something about him rubs me the wrong way. Unfair? Yep.

    I'm really surprised that that Lumineers song has become such a big hit. I probably shouldn't be -- it's radio-friendly in sound and theme. I just find a lot of those neo-folkies to be so sterile sounding -- Mumford & Sons included. It's just doesn't sound raw enough to my ear -- and consequently I question its authenticity. I don't know...

    There is - however - a lot to like about Low Cut Connie, as I alluded to in my earlier comment. Those guys are a blast, and if I lived in Philly (Darius!) I'd go check 'em out live!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that you even knew about Low Cut Connie. I would like to see them & Man Man. Two of Philly's finest.

    The whole Vaccines record is decent. Good old, British Rock.

    I loved your comments on Craig Finn. He does come across as an arrogant guy. To me he is the musical Quentin Tarrantino; manic speaker with so much to say that you lose sight of what he is trying to convey.

    Finally, I think because you had an appreciation for bluegrass, bands like M&S, the Lumineers, or Aventt Bros. sound a bit contrived to you. I look at it this way: it might actually make someone interested in this sound go beyond the surface and discover something great. I just thought the song was catchy, but will not stand the test of time.

    BTW -you went synth CRAZY this year. Hipster DELUXE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said about Craig Finn and Tarantino. That's exactly it.

    I hope you're right about those bands as a 'gateway drug' to more authentic bluegrass. There are some good bands out there in the genre -- including the more radio-friendly Civil Wars (who my father can't stop raving about) to Shovels & Rope (who I put on my 2012 list).

    What can I say? I'm a sucker for synths. Especially when they're done right.

    ReplyDelete