music --- news --- culture --- debate

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Stuck In My Head: Crappy 80s Edition

The 1980s were a great time for music: with Post-Punk and New Wave peaking and Hip Hop dawning. Despite the sheer breadth of genres that boomed during the 80s, the decade has a bad reputation, musically, based on the sheer number of crappy songs from one-hit wonders.

Lately I've come into contact with two such songs, neither of which I knew during their heyday. Both are British (no surprise) and both are pretty dreadful. Except I can't get either out of my head.

First up is "Wot" by Captain Sensible. The first couple of times I was unfortunate to hear this song on Sirius First Wave I thought surely this is the worst song ever recorded. Then I did a little investigating and discovered that Captain Sensible is a founding member of The Damned. I still thought it was awful, but my interest was piqued. Then I watched the admittedly atrocious video and I was hooked. Here it is now for your listening and viewing pleasure -- and pay close attention to how literal the video matches the inane lyrics.


Next up is "Harley David (Son of a Bitch)" by the Bollock Brothers. The incessant chorus of this song will stick in your head, but allow me to count the ways this song is just trash: The song kicks off with the voices of moaning girls -- always a classy touch. How about bad handclaps? Yep. Lyrics like "I like the girls who've got big t**s". A low-fi cheerleader cheer? Check. And to think, this was a Serge Gainsbourg song made popular by Brigitte Bardot.


Give me your thoughts on both songs, and if you know any others like these, please, keep them to yourself so they don't get stuck in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment