music --- news --- culture --- debate

Friday, January 11, 2013

Best of 2012 - continued

These albums and songs made a huge impression on me this year.  Hope to add videos when I can. 

Even though I am a devout Springsteen fan, I can't agree with Rolling Stone putting "Wrecking Ball" as the #1 album of 2012 and leaving "Handwritten" off completely (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/50-best-albums-of-2012-20121205).  The Gaslight Anthem is doing now what Bruce was doing back when he released "Darkness," being innovative and making songs with a message that you can actually enjoy.

Albums

The Gaslight Anthem – Handwritten



fun. - Some Nights



Mumford & Sons – Babel



Atlas Genius – Through the Glass



Frank Ocean - Channel Orange



The Killers - Battle Born



Songs

“The Look” – Metronomy

“Anna Sun” – Walk the Moon

“Lovely Cup” – Grouplove

“Now We’re Nowhere” – Little Barrie

“Kill Your Heroes” – AWOLNATION

“Its Time” – Imagine Dragons

“Trembling Hands” – The Temper Trap

“The House That Heaven Built” - Japandroids

1 comment:

  1. I am going to agree whole-heartedly on your Gaslight Anthem/Springsteen comment. YOU KNOW my affection for Bruce, but no record since the Rising has doen much for me.

    What were the odds that Handwritten would be on your list? .25 on the dollar?

    I am still looking for the article to explain to me the greatness of Frank Ocean. If he wasn't a rapper who openly talks about bi-sexuality (which is a big deal in that world) what quality is his music?

    fun, to me is soemthig for my kids. I liked them best when they were called Vampire Weekend (hahahaha).

    Atlas genius is soemthing that intrigued me.

    The Killers is somethign I might have just passed by. Guys younger than me really get into them. I find brandon Flowers schtick just ok.

    I only know Grouplove form "tongue-tied."

    The Japandroids are s common thread between us.

    ReplyDelete