music --- news --- culture --- debate

Friday, January 25, 2013

Johnny On the Spot

I've made it clear that I'm a huge fan of Johnny Marr. He's the most inventive guitarist of his generation -- and you'd be hard-pressed to find a better technical player in any generation. I even nod my head in agreement when I read quotes from Marr saying The Smiths "invented indie as we know it." Why, yes... yes you did. Who am I to argue?


So imagine my excitement upon hearing that Marr's debut solo album "The Messenger" is due out next month. Excitement and trepidation. After all, Marr was the brains behind The Smiths -- the wizard behind the velvet curtain. He was a hired gun for both The Cribs and Modest Mouse, though his arranging and songwriting skills were clearly in evidence on tracks like "We Share the Same Skies" and "Dashboard". But I don't know what to expect when Marr is both the brains AND the face -- After all, I never really got into the Healers -- the last project where he was the top dog. So what are we in for with "The Messenger"?

Last month, we heard the upbeat album cut "The Right Thing Right" -- which kicks off with some very trademark Marr guitar-work -- those slides against that strum -- before pumping up the energy. And you can distinctly hear parts of the song that directly relate back to Marr in The Smiths: At :56 I'm reminded of "Oscillate Wildly" and the chords are reminiscent of a song in the Marr catalog that I just can't place. But
I love that about Marr's work -- no matter how it changes, it's grounded in something so elemental.

Now, thanks to NME, we have the first single -- "The Upstarts" -- and it's a perfectly good song, but not a great one. Like any Marr song, you know it's him -- the guitars give that away -- especially during the bridges. Johnny's vocals are warmer and more melodic than I would have expected. But for whatever reason the song doesn't draw me in with a unique riff or hook. I'm happy enough to hear it, but not happy enough to love it.

So the bottom line? I'm undecided. Undecided at whether I'll like what I hear after giving it a few more plays. I'm not undecided about buying the record. The release date is late February, and I'll be there.

By the way, how did I miss Johnny Marr appearing onstage last month in New York with Dinosaur Jr. covering "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side"?? Watch:

UPDATE: After listening to the new Johnny Marr songs all weekend, I'm officially on board. "Upstarts" is a great tune, catchy and melodic. I'm very much looking forward to the new record.

No comments:

Post a Comment