music --- news --- culture --- debate

Friday, May 4, 2012

RIP Adam Yauch


I don't think a celebrity death has ever touched me as much as today's loss of one MCA, Adam Yauch.  Yauch and the Beastie Boys were a seminal part of my musical history.  I spent several summer listening to my green cassette of Paul's Boutique over and over, that I can still recite so may great lines.  As my writing partner in crime just said to me over the phone, "this is our Kennedy.  We won't forget where we were when this happened. "

I always wondered who the Mt. Rushmore of the Discordants would be.  We both agreed that the list starts with Adam Yauch.  From Nathaniel Hornblower, to Cookie Puss, to beards like a billy goat, we embraced all that our favorite b-boy spoke about.  From making out with Madonna, to singing about going gray, we ate up whet ever he was dishin'. 

I'm sure we will continue to post what we loved most about Yauch, show look at some clips and some of his greatest lines, but I just needed to say something at the moment.  RIP MCA - "That's right, my name is YAUCH!" ~ Sounds of Science.

No comments:

Post a Comment