music --- news --- culture --- debate

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Rock you like a ...xylophone???

The xylophone is the cowbell's uncool cousin.  Much like the classic SNL skit "Cowbell" , there aren't too many songs that feature the xylophone.  I know one of my favorite current bands, Man Man uses it, but I have to go back to the new wave era with bands like ABC, OMD, and the like that feature it.  So I was wondering, what is the greatest xylophone rock song of all time?  I have pitted what I feel are the best two.  Take a pick.

1.  Violent Femmes - "Gone Daddy Gone."  This song features a xylophone solo.  A solo!


2.  The Rolling Stones - "Under My Thumb."  The song is carried by the xylophone melody.  Brian Jones, was the master of random instruments.

4 comments:

  1. Great post... and great picks. I offer "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" by Talking Heads. There's a solo there but I think it's more marimba then xylophone.

    How about U2's "I Will Follow"?

    My favorite xylophone song from the 80s is probably "Tenderness" by General Public.

    And what about "Girls" by the Beastie Boys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, "This Must Be the Place" has been in my head since I heard it on Monday. Interesting enough, it is subtitled Naive Melody beacus each member played an instrument unfamiliar to them. Anyways, I do not think it's a xylophone or a marimba (I'll count them as the same since I think "GDG" is a marimba.

    "I Will Follow" uses it as a fill, which, is nice, but unnecessary.

    Ok, "Girls" you got me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually... "This Must Be the Place" was subtitled "Naive Melody" because the same melody plays repeatedly throughout the song. It never changes, and apparently musicians who are more sophisticated - and less naive - would look down on such a juvenile bit of songcraft. Anyway, the song has a xylo or marimba solo towards the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotye "somebody I used to know"

    ReplyDelete