music --- news --- culture --- debate

Thursday, May 17, 2012

What Were They Thinking?

Here's a new category of posts about bad decisions in music history. We'll call it What Were They Thinking, and we'll start with this utterly forgettable pile of crap from 1983 by sixties hucksters Three Dog Night. They heard the future at the dawn of the 80s -- ska -- and put their best spin on it with this track "It's a Jungle Out There". Which, in turn, paved the way for 1985's classic "Tarzan Boy" by Baltimora. Listen:



Look, I'm not defending earlier decisions by Three Dog Night -- their entire catalog is pretty much garbage. But this one just happens to stink the worst.

And while we're at it, here's the full "Tarzan Boy" video... I just can't resist.


This may be the single-most useless post I've ever written.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, how did you find this? Bad, just bad...but in defense of 3DN, yes, I just abbreviated it, they are not as bad as you think. "Shambala" is actually a good song. GFreat coqwbell transion at the 1:40 mark (don't ask how I know that...) I can understand your disdain for "Joy to the World," "Mama Told Me Not to Come" or "One," but I can tolerate "Black and White."

    ReplyDelete
  2. But tell me you hear the direct link between the 3DN song and "Tarzan Boy"? It's clear for all the world to see!!

    ReplyDelete