music --- news --- culture --- debate

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Video Vault - 1971

Ah, 1971, the year I was born.  For today's selection I had a hard time deciding which song to go with.  Originally, I was going with the Isaac Hayes classic "Shaft," but wasn't sure about the video.  My favorite Rolling Stones song, "Brown Sugar" came out in 1971, but still, too common.

Ultimately, I decided to go with a little known one from Neil Diamond.  For many, Neil Diamond is "Sweet Caroline" or that lame ET song "Heart light." For others he is the idol loved by Steve Zahn & Jack Black in Saving Silverman.  To many others he is the drunk, crazy man portrayed by Will Farrell in a SNL "Behind the Music" spoof.  

In reality, he was a successful hit machine without a true genre.  Is he pop?  He is not considered rock?  I couldn't tell you where he fits.  "Cracklin' Rosie" was released in late 1970, but was a radio hit in 1971.  Songs just don't sound like this anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment