music --- news --- culture --- debate

Sunday, February 12, 2012

The 54th Grammy awards - a running diary

8:00pm - "Ladies and gentlemen, Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band!!!"  Ten of the greatest words ever spoken...too bad "We Take Care of Our Own" sounds like anything else he has done post The Rising.  He looks great, and keeps the classic "Bruce pose!" Black outfits anyone?

8:07 - A prayer for Whitney Houston.  This will be the big theme of the night.  Unsure how I feel about this...

8:10 - A standing ovation for Whitney.  What bugs me is that she was a forgotten about sad story.  Now we mourn her like she was #1 last week. I thought I just read a few weeks back that she was going to be homeless.  Where were these people then?  Still torn about this.

8:11 - LL Cool J called Paul McCartney an "OG!!!" & Taylor Swift a "round the way girl!"  Nice, and I can't live without my radio!

8:13 - My kids were excited to see Bruno Mars.  A bit of a throwback: a little Sam Cooke, James Brown, & Little Richard. ..yet, the whole does not equal the sum of its part, or however the phrase goes.  I find it ironic that a guy busted for coke possession is talking about Whitney. 

8:22 - Alicia Keys & Bonnie Raitt sing a tribute to Etta James.  "At Last" is an all time classic, but I truly cannot name anything else by her.  I have seen Cadillac Records, and I'm still at a loss.

8:25 -  First award, and we cannot go wrong.  Adele, 23, looking 50, Lady Gaga wrapped in twine, Katy Perry tan & blue haired, and Bruno Mars, mugging, awfully to the camera.  Adele wins.  I smell a pattern.

8:27 - I guess since Rihanna is secretly dating Chris Brown, we too should embrace an abuser.  Should I post her medical shot after he hit her to remind people what he did to her?  Also, it happened right before the Grammys, and she was so banged up, she could not perform. Not a fan, nor will I support him.  Coffee break for me.

8:38 - Shocker! Kanye & Jay Z win best rap song.  Yawn.

8:39 - Molly (my 12 yr. old): "Oh my God, Reba's lips look like the Grinch!"

8:41 - No one fluctuates weight like Kelly Clarkson.  Just a few weeks ago on SNL, she was large.  Big difference! Here she is Jan. 8th.


8:49 - Foo Fighters.  Jack Black is pretty excited.  My only question is, would Nirvana perform on the Grammys? 

8:59 - A merger I could care less about, but my kids wanted to see - Rihanna & Coldplay.  The whole house is critical of Rihanna: from her voice, to outfit, her hair, dancing, to laying on the stage.  Yet, they like the song.  How are they related to me?

I heard an interview with Chris Martin on Howard Stern and I kind of liked him.  His biggest fault tonight is wearing a shirt two sizes too small...and maybe that off key falsetto!

9:08 - Anticipating Glen Campbell!

9:15 - "Walk" by the FF best Rock performance?  I cannot look at the "Lotus Flower" video without thinking of Fred Armesten imitating Thom Yorke for the Michael Buble Christmas Duets album on SNL.  
Dave Grohl still referencing Nirvana 20 years later...sad.

9:21 - Yes!  Foster the People!  Nice job.  I love the subtleness of FTP wearing the striped shirts like the Beach Boys in their heyday!  

Glen Campbell dancing is just great!

Colleen (my wife) asked if I like the Beach Boys.  I said I respect them, and Brian Wilson.  "God Only Knows" is a masterpiece.  Glad to see he is performing with the family, otherwise, it's the same group that comes to the Allentown Fair every year.  Is Stamos with them???

Glad to SEE the theremin!!! - wait is that a keyboard???

9:34 - Colleen: He (Sir Paul McCartney) looks pretty good.  Me: "Not really.  He dyes his hair and I think has extensions."  Vocally he sounds flat.  Yet, since he IS a Beatle, he gets a standing ovation.


9:38 - Gil Scott Heron remembered.  Nice.  The Revolution Will Not Be Televised!

Did they just nominate EL DIBARGE???

Chris Brown wins.  I can't back this guy.

9:41 - Colleen on the Civil War: "who ARE these guys?"  Country music is almost non-existent in our world.

EXCEPT FOR...
9:42 - TAYLOR SWIFT, my six year old's favorite.  I have a friend who teaches in Wyomissing (Reading, PA - where Taylor is from.)  You CANNOT speak a bad word about her in BERKS county.  Case closed.  Ok, I'll be kind, she can rock the banjo!

Colleen saw me chuckling as I wrote that and states that, she likes her.  Swift gets a standing ovation!  I love that she gives that dumbfounded look!  Colleen likes that she (Swift) likes Fleetwood Mac ( a Colleen & Doc Harson favorite.)

9:53 - Adele - two for two.

9:55 - Colleen: "Is something wrong with our TV?"  hahaha. Nope, It's Katy Perry breaking into her new song.   Nothing better than Katy Perry singing "ET"; a song that kids love, yet so overtly sexual.  "Prick me with your love pin..."  hmmm.

9:59 - What's up with Miranda Lambert's baby voice?  Country music: a part of Americana I just don't get.  BTW, I root for the 3rd wheel in Lady Antebellum.

10:08 - Why do I feel that they are pushing Adele?  She had major surgery.  She has nothing to prove, yet she felt she needed to sing tonight.  I just don't want her to blowout her pipes.  She looks a little like Ann Margaret.  Maybe that is because they try to film her from the shoulders up.  Nobody would guess she was 23.

10:13 - Molly asked me to wake her when Nikki Minaj comes on - I won't.  I'm sure we could make a great drinking game out of whenever Nikki Minaj rolls her eyes...

10:18 - C'mon "Wichita Linemen!!!"

10:20 - "Southern Nights."  How, I don't know, but I can sing along with it.  Too bad Blake Shelton is using a teleprompter to do the same.

10:22 - Glen sounds good.  LOVE the pink coat. Too bad his dentures are getting in the way.  He is one curmudgeonly looking fellow.   I think "Rhinestone Cowboy" is all we are getting.  Colleen is chuckling with his sidebar comments while singing. A fitting swan song.  Glad he enjoyed himself.

10:33  - Did Carrie Underwood call him Tony BENNIS?

10:35 - Bon - Hella'va neck beard, buddy!

10:37 - Colleen: "Where's Justin Beiber?"  Yup, that's my wife.
         
             Colleen on Bon Iver: "Goodbye, guy."  Ironically, winning that ward means exactly that.

10:38 -A Bruce reference.  Do you think Springsteen stuck around?
          
           First Whitney reference in a while.

10:41 - Dead musicians; one of my favorite parts of the show. Andrew Gold quickly skipped by.  Figure out that one...

The Big Man, Clarence Clemons is given proper respect.  Jungleland.  Nice.




10:45 - To me, I find it odd that to memorialize Whitney Houston, they use the Dolly Parton song.  She had other hits that were written specifically for her.  What about "The Greatest Love of All"?  Still, a sad tale.  Previously, I would have thought Amy Winehouse was going to be given the big "in Memoriam" treatment.

10:55 - Dancy Party!!!  Where did this crowd come from?  Didn't we just see people like Adele sitting in the front row?   Why do we get more Foo Fighters?

10:59 - The Grammys just turned into MTV's New Year's Eve Party with Dark Mouse.

11:07 - A Nikki Minaj mini movie about exorcism?  This is almost as good as R. Kelly's "Trapped in the Closet."I can say the fake British accent cannot hold a candle to one, Lady Sovereign.
11:11 - Colleen just gave a "what the hell?" when seeing the Nikki Minaj theatrics.

11:!2 -Record of the Year -  shocker (NOT!!!)  Adele primed to win.  My question is: didn't Mumford & Sons perform "The Cave" on last year's Grammys?  BTW - where has GAGA been?  She usually puts on a big performance.

11:20 - I love the giant wig on Diana Ross.  Album of the Year, hmm, would I buy any of these?  I just try and think how many of these had multiple hits on it - oh forget it, you know Adele will - I mean won it.  

11:23 - A thank you to Rick Rubin.  All I have to say is " NO SLEEP 'TILL...."


11:25 - LL just called Sir Paul "my homie!" He (LL) did a nice job tonight.  He was quick, jokeless, and to the point.  I would have liked a performance of this one, though...

11:26 - Sir Paul looks disturbing, and is off. 

11:27 - Who knew Matt Pinfield played drums...

11:29 - One thing I like about "Golden Slumbers" on the Beatles record is that it is the one time all 3 majors (John, George, and Paul) trade guitar solos.  A fun end to a career as a band.  For this performance, at least we get Bruce & Joe Walsh.  Who is the guy with them - NOT DAVE GROHL.

Goodnight all!

2 comments:

  1. Dolly may have done that song first, but Whitney made it her own. I agree... they should have done "So Emotional"... the only music video ever shot at Lehigh's Stabler Arena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fake British accent? She's from Trinidad, after all... by way of Queens...

      Delete