music --- news --- culture --- debate

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A follow up on all that is Foo.


What an ironic post title (Everyone Hates Foo Fighters,) considering they are, probably the most beloved rock band out there today. 

You stand somewhat alone on this subject  - but I’m with you.

I really liked their first two records.  “This is a Call,”  “Big Me, “Monkey Wrench,” and even “Everlong” were cool songs.  They even covered Gary Numan with a  version of “Down in the Park.”  I liked that Dave Grohl was able to come out of the shadows of Nirvana and assert himself saying “look at me, I’m not just some lame drummer.”  He could play various instruments, sing, and write quality rock songs.  Then three things happened that I am not sure how, affected the band:

  1. Pat Smear quit the band.  Hard to put my finger on what he brought to the band.  He didn’t play on anything for the first album, for it was almost Dave Grohl’s entire demo that was used.  He helped with The Color & the Shape, and subsequently left on national television’s MTV Music Awards.  He is, somewhat back in the band, but doesn’t play consistently with them live, or, even a whole show.  I do like that, while on hiatus from the FF, he produced the debut album form VH1’s “Bands on the Run”  runner-up, Harlow. 

    2.  “My Hero.”  A song that was supposedly about Kurt Cobain.  From all I read, Cobain was not overly fond
         of Grohl, being quoted, as hating him – and this was not even coming for Courtney Love, who said similar
        things about him earlier. I felt it was phony, and was turned off immediately.  I was given the next CD, and I 
        still think it is in the cellophane.  

  1. Taylor Hawkins – who is this guy and why is he celebrated?  I think he is a fine drummer, and love that he plays in a Police cover band, but for a band where the main guy does the drumming on record, he should be somewhat expendable, and instead is pushed to the forefront.  He is the second most recognizable member after Grohl.

I know I’m in the minority, but I just don't get all excited about them, and their videos -where they are either silly or angry. 

Funny, one of my closest friends is a hug fan of the FF’s, and even had them play at the  release party for one of his videogames.  

I won’t criticize Dave Grohl for believing in the idea of authentic rock.  Some (most) of the best music was created this way, and I respect that he feels that rock has become a lost art form. 

I just don’t see the FF's putting anything out there that has been meaningful in a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment