music --- news --- culture --- debate

Monday, February 20, 2012

Video Vault


We're going back to 1978 for an under-rated power pop gem by Shoes called "Tomorrow Night". For some reason, this song popped into my head yesterday, and I had to think pretty hard to remember the name of the band. They're called Shoes -- not The Shoes -- and they were a quartet formed in Zion, Illinois. If I'm not mistaken, we acquired the 45" because my cousin was a radio DJ and this was one of his rejects. That said, I have to agree with some of the comments on the YouTube page -- it's a surprise this song (and this band) didn't leave a bigger mark. I hear the obvious notes - Power Pop and New Wave - but there's almost a shoe-gaze feel to this. And the jangly rhythm guitar under the chorus sounds like it could have been played by Peter Buck's alter ego. Call me crazy. All in all, a nice find.

1 comment:

  1. ooh, you little power pop tease. Here is soemthign I am unfamilar with, but I like. I am curious about these guys. Will follow up.

    ReplyDelete