music --- news --- culture --- debate

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Why I Hate Tribute Bands


"I know it's over - still I cling/I don't know where else I can go..."
I appreciate what a band like The Sons and Heirs is trying to do. They want to bring back the experience of seeing something no one will ever see again -- a Smiths concert. Fine. But that's life. I missed my chance to see them live. I regret that, but The Sons and Heirs isn't the solution. Their act is so forced, so tortured and honestly, so dreadful. The beauty of the Smiths was that they were unlike anyone else. They were utterly creative -- a tense marriage of the genius guitar work of Johnny Marr and the literary wit of Morrissey -- and they were unlike anyone else. A tribute band is just like someone else. And that's why a Smiths tribute band (or any tribute band) just doesn't work. As Joe Strummer sang: "Phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust." Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is probably the best blog you have written. It's spot on, and well thought out.

    As someone who can respect the Smiths, but wasn't necessarily a fan, I agree with you. They were original and eloquent both verbally and musically. The irony of originality vs. imitation is so spot on.

    RIP Joe Strummer.

    ReplyDelete